To answer the question “Why use email for business?” we must first note that email is no longer just a tool used for communication. Because of its success at auto-generating business, it has become a powerful medium for improving online presence.
While there are many campaigns marketers can pursue with email, this article will provide insight on the top ways email can be used to nurture leads and generate business online.
1. Your prospects are using email daily
Email is tied with search engines at the top of the list for the most popular online activities. Among online adults, 92% use email, with 61% using it on an average day (Pew Research Center). These statistics suggest the high likelihood that your prospects are using email on a regular basis.
2. You can send highly targeted campaigns
Email marketing platforms allow you to create multiple lists to organize your contacts. They also provide list segmentation, which allows you to send highly targeted campaigns to specific groups of contacts (e.g., geographical location, gender, interests). This way you can quickly send content that’s customized to your audience’s specific need, which achieves a higher conversion rate.
3. You can nurture qualified leads
Most business email platforms provide users with campaign reports that measure effectiveness. Google Analytics can also be installed to show you how to measure user interactions with email. Monitoring this data is extremely valuable because it offers you a chance to nurture qualified leads.
Here’s an example of how you can nurture leads through email workflows:
- Create resources related to your top industry topics (see: “What Should I Blog About?)
- Attach promotional links to those resources inside your email
- Qualify your contacts based on email opens and link clicks
- Send qualified contacts more information related to emails opened and links clicked
- Monitor qualified contacts to determine their stage on the buyer’s journey until it’s time to make a call and close a sale.
Email metrics allow you to know what interests your contacts. Once you know that, you can start sending more customized emails to move them along the buyer’s journey until it’s time to make a call and close a sale.
4. You can defend your marketing budget
With an average return of $40 for every $1 spent on email marketing, email is an incredibly cost effective medium. You can use the impressive statistics for email effectiveness to defend your marketing budget for the upcoming quarter.
While there are many other reasons why you should use email for business, these are the top reasons that can improve your company’s online presence to generate more leads.
Sidenote: While email generates business, it cannot succeed as a standalone strategy.